Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman RIP



Legendary move star and actor Paul Newman passed away yesterday at the age of 83 after a battle with cancer.

Despite his "matinée looks" Newman saw himself as a character actor, and said of himself "I was always a character actor. I just looked like Little Red Riding Hood."

"His characters - convicts, outlaws, con men and hustlers - were far from admirable. His gift, however, was to invest them with a charm, humour and crumpled nobility that made them irresistible to men and women alike.
It was this that enabled him in later life to become a distinguished character actor capable of elevating films like Road to Perdition, Message in a Bottle and The Hudsucker Proxy by his sheer force of presence. "

Outside acting he was a great philanthropist and political activist, Newman once said "I didn't turn in my citizenship card when I got my screen actor's card".

His good works, iconic character portrayals and fundamental decency will outlive him.

For clips of some of his iconic and memorable roles go here.

No comments: