Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Nina Simone Sings the Blues



Nina Simone Sings the Blues (1966) - album cover.

The album was re-issued in 2006 with two extra bonus tracks, but I still very much prefer the original album that I own.

"The blues from the original LP features Simone with organ, guitar, harmonica, bass, and drums. Her blues band is sufficiently small to allow her plenty of freedom. She covers the whole spectrum, from Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey to Muddy Walters, Willie Dixon, and Koko Taylor."

Nina Simone sung blues from the bottom of her soul - the way it needs to be sung.

This is one of the best albums of all times - and it sure is up there with the most beautiful album covers ever! If you don't have it you should really make sure to get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only a mishmash of songs a friend put together for me years ago--and I'm ashamed that prior to then, I'd never heard of her.

I'll have to check this one out.

Rare Autumn said...

This album is maybe not so representative of Nina Simone "style-wise" - but I think it some of the most wonderful work she's ever done. I hope you'll enjoy it!