Monday, February 19, 2007

Josef Frank and creating

Svenskt Tenn is almost an old institution in Sweden, a lifestyle company founded in 1924, started by Estrid Ericson and the fantastic fabric designer Josef Frank.

This quote from the magazine "Form" perfectly sums up my feelings and approach to how I make my home, how I dress and how I approach work and creating:

"There’s nothing wrong with mixing old and new, with combining different furniture styles, colours and patterns. Anything that is in your taste will automatically fuse to form an entire relaxing environment. A home does not need to be planned down to the smallest detail or contrived.; it should be an amalgamation of the things that its owner loves and feels at home with.”
(Josef Frank, from an article in the design magazine Form in 1958).


Below is a selection of textiles designed by Josef Frank.
As I'm taking part in Project Spectrum I've chosen blue or grey or white combinations (these are the colours for February and March) as a kinda inspiration for myself (and for the project).
For a wider selection of Josef Frank's designs, a selection of fabrics by other designers, and furniture and rugs go to Svenskt Tenn's website.



"Loops". Design: Josef Frank. Material: Cotton or linen. Width: 130 cm, Report: 52 cm.



"La Plata". Design: Josef Frank. Material: Cotton or linen. Width: 130 cm, Report: 77 cm.



"Notturno". Design: Josef Frank. Material: Linen. Width: 130 cm, Report: 63 cm.

2 comments:

FRIZZ said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I will have to look into creating some stamps for sale.
I'll be back!

Rare Autumn said...

I'll be the first in line for the stamps!